Thursday, February 24, 2011

What I Have Learned as a Nanny

So as you may or may not know, I am a nanny.  I take care of this wonderful, adorable toddler who just lights up my day.  I know all the textbook stuff about kids and I even babysat for the longest time, but I had never cared for a child continuously for such long periods nearly every day of the week.  It has been A-MAZ-ING!  Every day I get to watch this little guy discover things I take for granted.  He gets this look on his face like "O.M.G. Miss Alicia!!  Did you see THAT?!?!  That was SO COOL!!!!" 

I have always loved kids and I have always wanted at least three of my own.  Now I am going to school to become a teacher while considering fertility treatments after more than 2 years of trying to get pregnant to no avail.  After this nanny experience, I have learned several things are likely to happen when I become a teacher and parent:

1)  Patience is a virtue
2)  There is nothing more precious in the world than when "the lightbulb" turns on
3)  The quickest way to go from a bad/sad mood to a great mood is to get a smile and hug from a precious child
4)  The quickest way to go from a good mood to a bad mood is to have a chunk of flesh bitten off by that same child
5)  I will get every single little illness the children get and it will be twice as bad as they experienced
6)  Their favorite food for the last 6 months can suddenly hold no interest for no apparent reason
7)  They don't care if your RA is acting up - they still need you to be on top of your game
8)  They grow up waaaaay too fast


And you know what?  I wouldn't trade this experience or my future experiences as a teacher and parent for anything in the world.



.