Thursday, July 21, 2011

Drugs, Money, and Rock & Roll - Part 3

Ok, I promise I am going to finish this time.  The problem is it has now been sooooooo long that all the details have flown out of my head.  Sorry about that.

So I ended with us having to get the house moved in something like 10 days from Tucson, AZ to good old San Francisco.  Why you ask?  Well, the answer is quite simple.  D's work wanted him to start that soon.  YAY!  D has a job!  Boo, I have to do all this moving crap.

Let's see, so I start calling around looking for moving quotes and find that most of the companies are WAY too friggin expensive.  Therefore, I reserve a U-haul and start signing friends up to help us.  Later, I will end up changing my mind and hiring a moving company anyway.  Next step is finding a place to live and getting the house packed and moved, all in 10 days.  Did I mention the movers pick up 3-4 days before your desired delivery date?  So that is 6-7 days to find a place to live and pack the whole house.  Keep in mind, I am still recovering from my nose surgery during all this.

Next, I start figuring out transferring my schooling to California.  I am thinking this should be easy since I am attending University of Phoenix.  Guess what.  It isn't.  See, California has more stringent requirements for their teachers.  Something about needing a Master's Degree or something like that.  I forget the details now.  The part I DO remember is that I can transfer just fine.  Only problem is instead of finishing in 1 1/2 years, it will now take 3 1/2 to 4 years?!?!  Oh. Hell. No.  Because you know I don't already have enough stress on my plate.  Naturally, I start spinning in my head til I get to talk to D about it.

When I finally get to talk to D, the solution seemed simple enough.  I stay in Tucson to finish school while he goes to San Francisco to work and we just fly back and forth to visit each other.  Awesome.  It is silly to keep a 2-bedroom apartment for just one of me, so I rent a studio, choose the items to stay with me (futon, dresser, TV, and some kitchenware.  That's it), and continue on my merry little way packing everything else.  I get it all planned out that I will spend the next 3-4 months in Tucson getting all my observation hours out of the way, then spend 6 months in SF with the hubby, then spend the remaining 6-8 months in Tucson finishing up my program and student teaching.  And then the scrambling begins all while trying to coordinate a 1000-mile move.

So we have 6-7 days. We hop in the car, drive straight through to Sacramento (14 hours in case you were wondering), and crash for 6 hours at my brother's house.  We then spend the next 48 hours looking at more than a dozen potential places to live in the San Francisco area.  Guess which one we picked.  Yup!  The second to last place.  (It's awesome by the way).  By the time we finish in SF and get back to Tucson (driving straight through again), we have 3 days to pack before the movers get there. Somehow we get it done with the help of friends, but I'm exhausted, my nose hurts, my body hurts, and I did I mention, I'm exhausted?

So, the movers arrive the day after we finish packing.  They get everything loaded.  They say 2-3 days for delivery.  Cool.  So we can take our time a little on the way back to SF to meet them at the new house.  We load up the animals and head off to mom and dad's in Sacramento.  Oh, I forgot, we brought the dog out to stay with  my brother the previous weekend when we were house-hunting.  He kept her for the move, thank goodness.  Can you imagine trying to keep track of a 75-lb boxer/lab during all this?  Yea, right.

We drive straight through...again.  We sleep when we get there.  The cats are freaked out as expected.  We are exhausted and all we want is sleep, but no, we have to go back into the city to sign the lease on the new place and pay our rent.  Then we go back to mom and dad's and have them feed us that night.  The next day, we head to our new home and set up shop to wait for the movers...who don't show up for an extra 2 days.  That's right.  5 days to get our stuff. All I have to say is thank goodness we brought the air mattress and I booked my flight home through Southwest Air so I could change my return flight easily.

With no time to unpack or anything, we get the boxes and furniture in the house somewhat how we want it, do the move-in inspection, make a list for the landlord and Alicia has to run away to catch her plane.  Leaving D with boxes everywhere sucked.  Then my flight was delayed and my ride could no longer get me.  This is about the time when I start asking "why me?!?!"  Luckily, another friends said she could get me so I didn't have to pay for a cab ride home.  Thank you!  Finally got home and to bed at 2am with class the following night and no homework done.  Awesome.

Which brings us back to the school issue.  Remember how I was going to do 3-4 months in Tucson to get all my observation out of the way and then spend 6 months in Cali?  Yea, later I figure out I planned that out totally wrong because, guess what.  Those 3-4 months fall during summer break.  No classes to observe.  Crap.  I then have to figure out how to work it out so I can actually get some time with my husband.  The solution:

June - Tucson
July and August - SF (8 weeks online classes)
September through December - Tucson, but home for holidays
End of December through Beginning of January - SF (2 weeks)
Mid-January through May - Tucson
June and July - hopefully SF but that may change
August through November - Tucson
December - home to SF for good.  Merry Christmas!

Can we say stressful?  Yea.  Welcome to my life.

But guess what!  I survived!  I am still alive and kicking!  And I didn't kill anyone!  I totally rocked this move.


.