Saturday, September 11, 2010

Never Forget

In the words of a relative "9 years ago today American's were humbled. We had our innocence, arrogance, invincibility, naivety, security stripped from us but most filled the void with faith and pride. All Americans came together....something we desperately need to do again."

I know every blogger out there will be posting a similar blog posting today, but you know what?  I don't care.  I don't write this post to follow the crowd and I don't avoid writing this to be different.  I write this because my life was changed 9 years ago.  All our lives were changed 9 years ago.  I write this for all the people who died that day, but I also write this for everyone who has died before and after that day at the hands of hate.  


When it happened, I was driving to work. The radio station cut off the song it was playing and the DJ came on and said a plane crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. They didn't know if it was an accident or not yet.

As I pulled into the parking lot at work, a co-worker was there crying. Another plane hit the second tower. Not an accident.  Someone was attacking us, our nation, our values, our soul.

We sat at work watching the news, comforting each other. We sat in shock when we learned of the Pentagon. We panicked together when we heard a hijacked plane was headed for Dallas, then breathed deeply when it was corrected to Dulles, for though we knew we were safe, we had fear for those who weren't.


I joined two dear friends that afternoon.  We tried to function normally, going to the grocery store, making meals, but it was all a facade.  We watched the towers fall together. We watched the Pentagon and a Pennsylvania field burn.  We mourned together, and then we stood strong together.  Our nation stood strong together. 

And then we started to forget...


.