Monday, July 19, 2010

Back away from the cream cheese

Have you ever had a roommate before?  And I don't mean your husband or wife.  I mean someone whom you do not have any romantic interest with, whether a stranger or a friend.  I have had a roommate a few times now.  Whether by choice or by necessity, you never know what you are going to get when entering a roommate situation.  Even if you have known the person for years and years, you may be surprised with how they live once you move in together.

Over the years, I have found there are several different types of roommates.  The seemingly neat and organized person at school or work could be a total slob in their own house (my first roommate).  Sometimes worse than a slob, they could be even more of a perfectionist when they get home.  Like OCD perfection.  God forbid you should move their coaster half an inch to the left (my second roommate).  Then you have what I call "The Cave Dweller."  This is the one who may or may not be perfectly sociable in public, but once they come home, they go in their room, shut the door, and you don't see them again until they leave for work the next day.  Again, this could be good or bad.  Then you have what I call "The Clingon."  This is the person who simply cannot get enough of you.  Perhaps they are needy for human interaction, perhaps they are just bored, but whatever the reason, they find it necessary to talk to you incessantly until you want to stab your eardrums with a dull pencil. Then there is the roommate that is perfectly fit for you (my beloved third roommate).  Yes, this creature really does exist, though it is rare.  Usually they come in the form of a best friend, or the former roommate of a best friend. 

My current roommate really doesn't fit into any of the categories above.  He is some kind of mix between "The Cave Dweller" and "The Clingon."  I guess it depends on his mood.  Some days, he will hide in his room all day watching TV, only emerging for food and the restroom.  Other days, he needs someone to talk to almost incessantly.  Of course, I can be the same way sometimes.  Then there are the days that he is trying to navigate the web in an effort to find a job.  Bless his heart, he is a sweet man and tries not to ask me too many questions.  He really has improved his internet skills.  However, there is one aspect that is new in this roommate experience.

In all my previous roommate experiences, for one reason or another, my roommate and I have kept separate food.  I cook for myself (and my husband since I have been married), and my roommate cooks their own food.  We shopped separately, we ate separately, we stored food separately.  With this current roommate, we decided it would be easier to combine all this since my husband and I almost always cook too much food.  Shopping and cooking-wise, it makes complete sense.  Logistically, it doesn't always work out.  There is nothing worse than having a plan for dinner, already have the mouth watering, then go to make it and an ingredient is missing.  Talk about a let down.  Luckily, it hasn't happened with any of the "important" stuff yet.  So the roomie and I had to sit down and have a little talk to prevent the next World War from happening.  I recommended to him, as a health safety measure, that he never, ever drink the last of the orange juice, drink the last of the red wine, or eat the last of the popcorn.  These three items are evictable offenses and body harm may occur.  Anything else, I can deal with.  There might be some disappointment or even a little crabbiness over the absence of cream cheese for my freshly toasted bagel or the last of the ice cream missing for the midnight snack, but overall, it is something I will get over fairly quickly - especially if I can replace that feeling with the love of my orange juice, red wine, or popcorn.


.